Nominate a Teacher for the 2012 Gerstacker Teacher Proficiency Awards
Published on Monday, January 16, 2012
Nominations are being accepted for the 2012 Gerstacker Teacher Proficiency Awards. The Gerstacker Committee would like to take this opportunity to inform you of the basic eligibility criteria for a nominee and the selection procedures.
The basic criteria:
- Nominee must have a Michigan teaching certificate
- Nominee must be a tenured teacher with three or more continuous years of service with the Midland Public Schools
- Nominee must be under employment contract for the upcoming year (not retiring)
The selection committee is comprised of:
- Viola Collin - President of the Midland City Education Association (MCEA)
- Steve DeRees - 2011 Gerstacker Recipient
- Cathy Hawkins-LaGoe - Chair, MCEA Professional Standards Committee
- Rick Ohle, Board of Education Member
- Tracy Renfro – Principal, Chestnut Hill Elementary School
After reading all of the letters, the committee meets to discuss and make their selection. The committee members look carefully at the contents of each letter. Campaigns with numerous letters are not given any more importance than a few letters received about an outstanding teacher. Each year there are two elementary and two secondary recipients.
Nominations are due Friday, March 16, 2012. Nominations can be made online at www.mps.k12.mi.us/employees/awards/gerstacker or by letter to Rick Ohle, Midland Public Schools, 600 E. Carpenter Street, Midland, MI 48640.
The awards ceremony will be held at 4:10 p.m. on Thursday, May 10, 2012 in the Griswold Lecture Hall at Northwood University.